As you visit and decide on what college or university is for you, you will want to learn information that might not be covered in documentation or even campus tours. As you communicate with admissions counsellors from any university, not just Carlow, these are the some questions you should ask:
- What are the differences between rolling and deadline admission?
- Does my application need to be accompanied by letters of recommendation and an essay?
- What are the benefits of attending a women-centered college?-eliminate this question.
- Is Carlow University considered Co-Ed?
- Are SAT or ACT scores weighted more heavily in the acceptance decision?
- What were the average SAT/ACT scores for the most recent incoming freshmen class?
- Average grade point average? What are my chances of being accepted?
- What factors are considered?
- What are the typical class sizes?
- What is the average student to faculty ration?-should say ratio
- What is the current job placement after graduation?
- What percentage of graduates work in their field?
- Are seniors the only students who can take advantage of the Center for Career Enrichment?
- What workshops do you offer to your underclassmen to prepare them for the work world?
Financial Aid Questions
- How much does your school cost?
- Does your Financial Aid Office prepare free evaluations for financial aid?
- Are there academic and athletic scholarships available?
- Can they be combined?
- Does your school offer institutional monies to help students?
- What is the average financial aid package and what percentage of students receive free money?
- What if our family finances change?
- Do you take into account any special circumstances that may occur?
- What types of payment options are available?
- How much college credit can I receive for AP courses in high school?
- How many courses are taught by teaching assistants vs. full-fledged professors?
- How does the faculty advising system work?
- What types of courses are all students required to take regardless of major?
- Are the professors available and willing to assist students?
- What types of support services are offered and implemented for students who may find the transition from high school to college difficult?
- What are the costs?
- Are the classes more lecture-based or more interactive?
- Are internships available? If so, what are typical internship sites for your students?
- Do you have an Honors program?
Campus Life Questions
- How safe is it?
- How secure are the residence halls?
- How easy is it to get into campus residence halls?
- What types of activities do you offer students?
- What special programs are offered for minority students?
- What is the most difficult part about adjusting to college?