Carlow campus in the summer

Hold on! Before we get to the actual steps you'll need to follow, we should first make sure you meet our admission requirements.

Coming to Carlow straight out of high school? Here's what you need:
  • Coursework taken in a college prep curriculum  
  • At least a B average, and
  • Rank in the upper two-fifths of the class.
We know that coursework varies among schools, so we will consider applications from academically-able students whose preparation and experience differs from the traditional college preparatory program.

Been out of high school for more than 4 years? Just start filling out the application.

Steps to Apply

If you're still in high school (and you meet our admissions requirements), if you graduated from high school more than 4 years ago, or if you're over the age of 25 and going to college for the first time, the application process is the same: 

  • Complete and submit the application form. Apply online and we waive the admission fee!
  • Ask a guidance counselor  at your high school to forward a complete official high school transcript* to the Admissions Office (mail to: Carlow University, Admissions Office, 3333 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213) indicating the your cumulative GPA, courses taken and grades received, class rank (if available) and results of achievement and assessment tests (must be mailed directly to the University by your high school);
  • Submit scores from the Scholastic Assessment Test of the College Board ( SAT), the American College Testing (ACT) Program, or the Classic Learning Test (CLT), if applicable;
  • Arrange for a personal interview and campus visit. Although this is optional, it is strongly recommended.

  • Submit an essay and/or recommendation from your secondary school principal, teacher or guidance counselor. These are optional; however, in some instances they may be required; if you've been out of high school for over 4 years, you might also include a personal essay about why you want to come to Carlow (ask your counselor!);
  • File your FASFA. You can file at File your FAFSA after October 1st of your senior year.

*An official transcript contains the seal of the institution and is issued directly to Carlow University. Transcripts delivered to the Admissions Office by students are considered official only when sealed in an envelope with the institution’s seal over the flap. Faxed transcripts are not considered official. Official General Equivalency Diploma (GED) test scores may be accepted in lieu of high school transcripts.