All prospective, international undergraduate or graduate students who will have a United States visa (F-1, H-4, B-1 or B-2) while studying at Carlow will need to submit the following documents to the Office of Admissions:

1. Completed Online Application

2. Proof of English Language Proficiency
English Proficiency is required of all students. To show proficiency, you may submit one or
or more of the following:

  • SAT Official Scholastic Achievement Test score. You can get more information
    about SAT at (Carlow School code is 2421.)
    Scores Required: 500 (Math) and 500 (Critical Reading)

  • TOEFL Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (Internet Based Test) score.
    Additional information can be found at (Carlow School
    code is 2421.) Score Required: 90 with no less than 20 in any subject area.

  • IELTS Official Test of International English Language Testing System score.
    Additional information can be found at (Carlow School
    code is 2421.) Score Required: 6.5

  • Official academic transcripts showing that you have studied in the U.S. for a
    minimum of two years. (Excluding ESL courses.)

However, there are EXCEPTIONS to the English Proficiency Requirement:

  • 24 or more credits from Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia and
  • Born and raised in Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia or Ireland.

3. Official Academic Transcripts (secondary and/or post-secondary)
Admission decisions cannot be made without official transcripts. These documents must come directly from your school/schools in sealed envelopes. Student copies, scanned copies or photocopies are not acceptable. For some countries, other official test scores may be requested.

4. Official Transcript Evaluation
Transcript must be evaluated by one of the following transcript evaluation companies and have the official evaluation directly mailed form the company to Carlow, as copies will not be accepted.




However, if you have WES complete the ICAP evaluation you do not need to have your home country send an official transcript to Carlow.

5. Copy of Passport
This document can be accepted by email

6. Notarized Affidavit of Support Form (PDF)
This is required of all students who will have a United States visa (except holders of H-4, J-2, and R-1 visas). You may have several sponsors to cover the cost of your first academic year. If so, each sponsor must submit an affidavit for the amount pledged. Each affidavit must be accompanied by official bank or employer’s statement and must show evidence that the amount pledged is available. Bank statements should be no older than six months. Affidavits and bank statements must be submitted as the original; photocopies will not be accepted.

** The Affidavit of Support and bank statements are not required until after an admissions
decision has been determined. These are required in order to issue an I-20.

The following are additional requirements for applicants to graduate programs:

7. Personal Essay
Submit a personal essay of approximately 300 words (typed and double-spaced) discussing the following topics:


  • Short-term and long-term goals
  • Reasons for seeking graduate study in the specialty you have selected
  • The strengths and skills you will bring to the graduate program
  • How do you plan to use your degree once you have completed the program?


8. Resume or curriculum vitae 
Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae containing information on education, professional experience, membership in professional organizations, professional and academic honors, research and publication activities, and relevant public service activities, if applicable. 

9. Two recommendations:
Recommendation letters and/or forms should appraise your academic, professional, and/or personal qualities. At least one letter should be from a person who can attest to your aptitude for graduate work/leadership.


Carlow does not currently admit F-1 visa holders into the following programs: Nursing, Education, Fraud & Forensics, and Counseling Psychology. US Permanent Residents, however, may apply to any Carlow program.