The strategic plan of the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (OSPR) is based on clearly defined vision, mission, and goals. For details, please one of the options below or scroll down the page.
For details, "Conceptual and Theoretical Framework of an Effective Sponsored Programs and Research Administration based on Sankofa Effects, Ubuntu Philosophy, Attribution Theorem, and Locus of Control Research Factors" is provided in PDF format for reference.
In recognizing, embracing, institutionalizing, sustaining, and leveraging Carlow University’s inclusive theme of "Transforming lives. Transforming our world," we subscribe to a hybrid-type system of sponsored programs and research administration.
This vision for action is inclusive of centralized and decentralized components in provision of transformational and transactional services to garner and make available and accessible resources germane to the promotion and facilitation of innovative opportunities for teaching, research, student learning, enhancements of campus infrastructure, improvements to student support services, creative expressions, and new knowledge, that will serve local, regional, national, and global communities.
OSPR MISSION STATEMENT
In advancing a vision of inclusive empowerment and accountability of sponsored programs and research activities at Carlow University, the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (OSPR) will significantly play the engaging, respectable, appreciative, very active, ethical and responsible leadership functionality of developing and enhancing a centralized office and associated decentralization units. OSPR will ensure the effective provision of catalytic, confident, competent, timely, and caring leadership to the university's community in the institutionalization of its prospective status as an emerging research institution.
As an "office of inclusive opportunities," OSPR will develop, promote, nurture, and continually support a campus culture of active and evidence-based sponsored research engagement and enterprises that will solidly build and implement sound and holistic institutional capacity for competitive advantage in local, national and international extramural funding sources.
To this end, OSPR will accomplish the following:
- act as a credible and pragmatic resource avenue for University stakeholders to empower faculty, staff, and students in carrying out their scholarly, experimental, pedagogical, creative, and organizational projects;
- provide oversight for the successful administration of sponsored programs– to include grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements;
- provide appropriate, consistent, applicable and adaptable policies and procedures that will act as incentives for stakeholders’ engagement in sponsored programs activities;
- provide consultation services regarding research and sponsored-program activities;
- comply with federal, state, and University regulations and appropriate funders’ guiding principles through a professionally-supported relationship with Carlow stakeholders.
OSPR services will include, but not limited to, the following:
- leadership in the development of relevant and sustained research themes for academic departments, academic colleges & school, and university wide;
- helping to craft and move ideas into concepts, and finally fundable initiatives;
- conducting appropriate and applicable prospect research of available sources of external funding to align with individual investor’s functional research interest profile;
- assisting in the development and sustainability of partnerships to enhance the effectiveness of sponsored research and related agendas.
- understanding and advancing the pre and post-ward processes of sponsored projects administration;
- conducting workshops, seminars, symposia, clinics, consultations, etc. on best practices;
- assisting in the creation and strengthening of applications for submission to funding agencies;
- providing administrative and technical directions and oversight on funded projects;
- ensuring compliance with appropriate local and federal legal and ethical regulations.
FY 2016/2017 OSPR GOALS
Develop a Strategic and Operational Plans for the effective and sustained institutionalization of sponsored programs and research administration at Carlow University.
Build collaboratives or partnerships with internal Callow University and external constituencies to ensure buy-in of the institutionalization and sustainability of Sponsored Programs and Research enterprises at Carlow University.
Develop a comprehensive and vetted instrument that will be employed in conducting an institutional Self-Study or internal Audit of the state-of-affairs of Sponsored Programs and Research enterprises at Carlow University. The deliverables from this product will enhance the university’s continuing and focused efforts in the development of an Institutional Development Plan (IDP) for Sponsored Programs and Research Administration.
Develop a comprehensive Pre-Award System of Sponsored Programs Administration at Carlow University. This proactive and transformative goal will ensure strong and sustained institutional capacity and readiness to actively engage its stakeholders in the cultivation of appropriate extramural prospects; policies & procedures; development of award-winning proposals; transmission or submission of the proposals to public and private funding agencies and/or establishments, and ultimate and celebrated successes of individual and collective investments of time and efforts.
Develop a comprehensive Post-Award System of Sponsored Programs Administration at Carlow University. This evidence-based and transactional goal will ensure strong and sustained institutional capacity and credibility to receive and successfully manage all extramural grants, contracts and cooperative agreements received from public and private funding streams.
Actively promote Carlow University as an Emerging Research Institution ("ERI") and a Sponsored Programs Engaged Campus ("SPEC") by implementing Goals 1 through 4.