Health Coach Minor
Carlow University offers a minor in health coaching. Students who completed the requirements of the minor are prepared to engage in coaching others in pursuing healthier lifestyles.
The Health Coach Minor prepares students:
- To work one-on-one with patients and families
- To become proficient at skills necessary to assist with disease management, health literacy, and health outcomes
- To improve your healthcare systems marketability in an ever-changing healthcare environment
The minor is a 19-credit program that is open to students in any major.
The minor is made up of seven courses that total 19 credits.
Complete all five of the following courses:
- PH 210 Biomedical Ethics
- CM 370 Communication and Healthcare
- NU 110* Wellness across the Adult Lifespan (Note: This NU class is open to non-NU students in the minor)
- SSC 300 Health Coach (3 credits, new course)
- SSC 301 Health Coach Practicum (1 credit, this practicum may be repeated for credit)
Select two additional courses from the following list:
- BIO 205 Anatomy and Physiology
- CM 232 Organizational Communications
- SW 226SL Networking in the Community
- PY 285 Introduction to Counseling or SW 302 Introduction to Case Management
- PY/SW 430 Crisis Intervention
- POL/NU 420 Legal, Ethical and Political Issues in Healthcare (LEPI) – non-nursing students take POL 420
- NU 451 Intro to Epidemiology
- NU 317I/SO 317 Healthcare from a Global Perspective – non-nursing students take SO 317
- BSM 204 Management in Health Services