The accelerated program prepares academically qualified Carlow nursing majors to take a fast-track approach toward their professional future that includes graduate education and advanced practice roles. Students who qualify for this program may earn up to 12 master’s nursing credits by the completion of their BSN degree at Carlow University. Refer to the Department of Nursing RN-BSN Student Handbook for specific policies regarding admission into and progression across the RN-BSN to MSN accelerated program curriculum.
During the RN-BSN to MSN plan of study, the student must successfully complete an undergraduate statistics course, achieve a minimum Carlow cumulative GPA of ≥ 3.0, and achieve ≥ B- grade in the MSN accelerated program courses. Accelerated program students apply to one of the MSN Programs: Education and Leadership, Education and Leadership/MBA Dual Degree, or NP Individual Across the Lifespan and must meet MSN admission requirements including, but not limited to: submission of a current CV, two (2) professional reference letters, a personal goal statement for graduate nursing education, and, for admissions into the FNP program, have the equivalent of one year full-time direct patient care nursing experience. Please see the Department of Nursing RN-BSN and MSN Student Handbooks for a complete list of admission requirements.
A current active, valid, unrestricted Pennsylvania nursing license is required. The RN-BSN nursing major requires 120 credits for graduation. Of this total, 30 credits are advanced standing for RN license, 23 credits are in the nursing major, and 67 credits are in general education, support, and liberal arts, including University core requirements.
Undergraduate nursing, LAI, and support courses must be completed before beginning “accelerated” MSN courses.
Accelerated Program Requirements:
NU 412, NU 430, NU 435, NU 440 and NU 450; NU 705, and NU 737 (additional MSN core courses may include NU 703, NU 712 and NU 725).
In order to begin the accelerated MSN courses students must:
Note: an undergraduate Statistics course (e.g., Math 106 or 115) is required for admission to the MSN programs.
- Have a current, valid, unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse. Licensure in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is required for coursework completed in Pennsylvania.
- Meet both University and clinical agency health requirements.
- Achieve and maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of greater or equal to 3.0 while at Carlow University
- Achieve a minimum grade of B- in the accelerated MSN courses to continue in the accelerated program.
- If a student obtains a grade below a B- in an MSN course, the student will return to complete the RN to BSN (not accelerated) program and may apply directly to the MSN program after earning the BSN degree.
- A grade below a B- in an MSN core course must be repeated if accepted into the MSN Program.